- How do I pray?
- Prayers from the Bible
This is my wife. Do you remember you prayed for me last June to get married? We got married in August.
I wish ALL of my prayers got answered so quickly. I wish prayer were always so highly effective. This guy recognized me at Bible conference and asked me to pray. I didn’t even know him. He knew me because he had seen my picture in the testimonial reports magazine from previous years.
The vast majority of prayers are answered only after a looooooong time. Sometimes it takes days, sometimes weeks, sometimes months, often years, sometimes decades. Failure to understand the nature of prayer accounts for:
- Christians not praying (they see it as a waste of time because they expect instantaneous results)
- Backsliders turning away from God (why didn’t God answer my prayer? Maybe you gave up too soon)
- Atheists denying the existence of God.
Sometimes, God flatly denies our petition (and we don’t know why). Other times, we just give up too soon. Occasionally, there’s an instantaneous answer.
Why do we understand intuitively:
- Schooling takes time and perseverance
- Athletic training takes time and perseverance
- Making a marriage work takes time and effort
- Anything good and worthwhile is a long uphill battle
but when it comes to pray, we assume it must be instantaneous?