- How to pray?
- Bible prayers
Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights. THEN Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish’s belly — Jonah 1:17-2:1 KJV.
THREE DAYS IN THE BELLY OF THE FISH????? and only then it occurs to him to pray?
Do you ignore scoldings for prayer like
- your dentist reminding you to floss?
- your doctor telling you to get your weight down?
- your environmentalist friend telling you to recycle?
- your mother telling you to write your aunt thanking her for the sweater?
- your finance-savvy buddy telling you to put more money in savings?
Yeah, you’re right. I SHOULD do that. And then we don’t. We become dulled to urgency others describe to us for the shoulds of life. I understand putting off prayer like I understand putting off organizing tax documents. It’s not the most exciting way to spend my Saturday.
Jonah was a prophet, for crying out loud. He more than anybody should’ve known to pray. Why did he take so long to “get it?” How long will we take to “get it?”